Material/Texture Inspiration

Particle Cell from Ismael Mensa on Vimeo.

After browsing on Vimeo I came across this demo showcasing someones ‘Particle Cell’ model that they created. Theres many different layers of detail on the model that I really like, which has inspired me to try and replicate some of the characteristics into my own particle work. One of the first details that I noticed about the object is the bubble/scale texture on the very base of the sphere, it gave me a organic feel to the model and make it look like a form of armour or protection to the organism. The second detail that I noticed was the fracturing that was affecting the whole outer shell of the object, this again added another interesting dynamic to the object which, I further feel would be put into context through adding it to a scene. Lastly, the reflectiveness and brightness of material, to which I feel, are at the optimum point for this object – Although I wont have my spheres a bright blue colour, I still like how the material isn’t too glossy where it looks like a mirror but still reflects light in a pleasing way.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 10.16.52 Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 10.17.10

Conclusion

There are lots of characteristics about this object/model that I really like, the main one being the bubble/scales texture on the immediate surface of the object. I feel that I could use a similar texture like this to make my particles in my animation more visually interesting especially in those close up shots in the beginning of my animation,  this will make the spheres be less boring and will scatter the light differently when illuminated, drawing the views attention. However, there were also some elements to the object that I didn’t particularly like, for example, the holes and the different shaped arms coming out of the surface. I felt like they were too irregular but I can see that it adds to the diversity of the object making it more visually interesting.